Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Make me laugh...

There's a well-known quote attributed to WH Auden out there: "In those whom I like, I can find no common denominator; in those whom I love I can: they all make me laugh". It's amazing how much I agree with it.

And I can explain it too. I'm always attracted to intelligent and witty people, who think out of the box. It makes sense that a person with a great sense of humor will see the world differently: what makes us laugh is the uncommonness, the unexpectedness of the joke, the impression it makes upon us. That's why jokes get tired after a while - we get used to the idea.

People who teach themselves to be funny tend to challenge the world around them in interesting ways. They challenge stereotypes, or things we mistakenly or unfoundedly take as given, in order to think of good jokes. They even challenge the way they see themselves or react to criticism, 'cause that leads to great self-sarcasm. To this day, I haven't found a person whom I find truly funny and isn't more open-minded than myself.

And that's something I need from the people close to me. I need to learn, I need to think, I need to challenge... I need to accept. And, naturally, it does no harm to just laugh away your worries, laugh away your sins, every once in a while.

1 comment:

Atalante said...

For me it's slightly different. The people I love are those who generally make me feel - in an intense way. Laughter is one way, sincere tears are another. Both make you understand yourself better, and through it the world. Or vice verca...