Monday, January 09, 2006

Shake baby shake...

I'm guessing most of you will have heard about the earthquake a couple of days ago in Greece... It was huge, its epicentre was Cythera island but it even affected Italy, Turkey and Egypt from what I'm told...

Well, the thing is, I grew up in Greece, and every single time there's an earthquake there I get really emotional about it. No, it's not negative emotions, or fear, or any of those things... It's just that humbling awe you get when you're reminded that the little things we worry about every day don't mean a thing in the "big picture"...

I wasn't there for this one, but I was present during the "big one" in Athens a few years back... I felt my feet shaking for a few days, it took a while for things to go back to normal again, but I was really grateful for that... I was impressed by the way people around me reacted. Even my dad, being an engineer, offered a helping hand or advice where he could. Everyone was nice to everyone else for a few days, everyone there had something in common, a common worry, a common experience. It was sad to see how little it lasted, but it was wonderful while it did.

And it's just nature's way of reminding us that, compared to the infinite wonder of the universe, human achievement and the banality of everyday life and its issues, we're all just a leaf in the wind.

And, as bad as it may be for those truly affected, the bottom line is that some of us got to dance for a few seconds, whether they wanted to or not. Everyone needs to dance once in a while, to forget about trivial things and just move... Good thing nature forces us to, whenever she feels like it :D

1 comment:

JMai said...

Huh. I hadn't heard about it, actually...though it's not surprising since I infrequently watch or listen to the news (or read a paper, etc.)

I live in South Florida, land of the hurricanes. I've always said I'd rather have a hurricane than an earthquake, because at least you can prepare for the former. True though, nothing like a little natural disaster to remind you of how completely insignificant you are.

Made it through Wilma (and Katrina, and whatever other names we had this year). Bring on 2006 (no rush though, thanks!)